Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Very Own Storm Boys


I often wonder if my love and fascination with the sea and everything from it comes from a book my mum gave me when I was seven called "Storm Boy" (written by Colin Thiele).  I couldn't get enough of it and mum read it to me over and over again.  I was lost in Storm Boy's carefree world of living in a humpy on the beach, collecting shells, watching nature, being free (he didn't go to school) and being happy with very little.  This filled my imagination for most of my childhood.  My mum then took me to see the film and I was even more hooked.

I still have the original book she gave me and my own boys have also become lost in it.

At a market recently, I found a Storm Boy picture book and the illustrations (by Robert Ingpen) capture the words with such passion.

I'm lucky my boys are also happy beach combing, wondering, imagining and being lost in nature.

Px




















Picture book version







Insanely passionate illustrations

The copy mum gave me in 1977


The book includes photos from the film

5 comments:

Kaybe said...

I can see what my next vintage book quest will be. Your a good momma passing your love of nature to your boys.

Rizalenio said...

This post spells HAPPINESS. I enjoyed looking at these photos. Fun moments. :)

beachcomber said...

lovely! a nice life for your boys.
showing how much older than you i am stormboy was a book i loved and read to kids when i was teaching primary school. & my favourite book as a child also involved the sea - island of the blue dolphins. interesting!
beautiful beach photos and the driftwood looks fantastic.
x

Sheep Rustler said...

I loved that book so much! I still cry whenever I think about Mr Percival dying. I revisited the Coorong briefly in January and got all sentimental about pelicans all over again.

Briar {Sunday Collector} said...

My god! That takes me back! We had the same book through out the 80's! (Our family friend was the Production Designer on the film). Thanks for the memory!